Overcoming business risks
Cloud migration can be hugely beneficial for businesses wanting to stay ahead of the curve. However, it does not come without its own set of risks. But don’t be frightened off, below we outline 6 key obstacles you need to overcome and how to do just that.
1. Not having a clear cloud migration strategy
Organisation is everything. You can’t wander into a cloud migration project without a plan. You need to know which cloud platform you are opting for and if it aligns with your business needs. So, take a step back, make sure you don’t get caught up in the excitement and ask yourself some fundamental questions that will help to form your strategy. Here are a few to get you started:
- Why do you need to migrate to the Cloud?
- What do you want to achieve from the Cloud?
- Do you have highly confidential data that will need to be treated differently?
- What capacity do you need to store all your data, files and applications?
- What type of cloud will you need: public, private or hybrid?
2. Incompatibility with your existing IT environment
Your IT architecture will be complex; some of it will be brand new and other parts potentially ancient. Don’t worry yourself about the complications this brings, and instead, get an IT specialist to do the heavy lifting for you. The Novem IT team can help by auditing your current architecture and identifying the different elements. This way you can avoid incompatibly further down the line.
3. Potential loss of data
Don’t migrate without backing up your data. This cannot be stressed enough. It is not uncommon during cloud migration for businesses to encounter a problem such as a corrupt or missing file. But with a comprehensive backup solution, you will be able to retrieve this data quickly and efficiently. Without it, the impact of lost files can be costly and time-consuming.
4. Not using your budget wisely
Although the Cloud offers a simple and fixed monthly billing price model for its users, there can be wasted costs in the migration process. To avoid this, business’ need to optimise their cloud costs. Here are a few top tips to ensure you keep costs down during your cloud migration:
- Ensure you choose the right sized cloud infrastructure – unused space will put an unnecessary drain on your budget
- Get expert help – IT technicians proficient in the Cloud services can help you migrate faster, reducing time, headaches and cost
- Implement a holistic migration plan so you can figure out which applications work together, saving you time and money
5. Neglecting security risks
Cloud migration comes hand in hand with various security risks. Risks such as cyber-attacks, malware, data breaches, compliance violations, insecure APIs, insider threats, human error, and the list can go on. Luckily, many cloud providers supply additional security services, which can ensure the protection of your assets. These robust solutions can keep your Cloud environment secure from cyber threats when migrating by encrypting your data, setting up multi-factor authentication, implementing firewalls and providing training.
6. You need a reliable partner
There are a lot of risks that come with cloud migration, but don’t be overwhelmed. As long as you have a reliable IT partner to help you with your cloud migration journey, they can help keep these risks minimal and ensure your migration is successfulContact our Cloud Migration Experts